In the summer of 1950, Mrs. Robert C. Nichols expressed a desire for a new church start-up in The Village. As she pursued her dream, the Oklahoma City Wesley Methodist Church agreed to sponsor a new Methodist church. In March, 1951, the Village Methodist Church was chartered and the church’s first official membership record showed that eleven members were received and six baptisms performed. In April and May, twenty-two more members were added and three were baptized. On May 6, 1951, the church was officially named the Village Methodist Church of the The Village, Oklahoma. On June 3, 1951, the Rev. Richard Gibbens began to serve as the congregation’s first fill-time minister.
Sunday School classes, worship services and meetings were held in homes. The congregation then rented a two story building at Wilshire and May. The young church worshiped there for four months and then growth dictated a move to the more spacious airplane hangar building at 9625 N. May. January 20, 1952 was the closing date for charter membership with 120 members. In March, there was an official ground breaking for the building site at 9401 Village Drive; and on July 20, 1952, the congregation began to use a partially completed chapel, now a part of the children’s wing of the church. In 1955, the first addition was built, and the church featured two worship services and two Sunday School sessions. The fellowship hall was completed in 1957, and the final addition with the permanent sanctuary, choir room, offices, basement and Sunday School classrooms was first used on May 26, 1963.
In 1968 the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethern Church, and Village became a United Methodist congregation.